Well, this one does come as a bit of a shock: Mass Effect is coming to the iPhone. You remember Mass Effect, the game that Microsoft often reiterated was “only going to appear on Microsoft platforms”? Well Microsoft, a Mass Effect game is indeed coming to arch-nemesis Apple. Mass Effect: Jacob’s Story was revealed in a survey over the past weekend, including images and some game details. While it may not be a true Mass Effect game, it closely follows the cannon of the ME universe and will be used as an episodic prequel to the forthcoming Mass Effect 2.
Wait. Wouldn’t a prequel to a sequel be the original? Ouch, our heads are spinning now.
The details of the game are sparse but a few notes did surface.
Here is your opportunity to play the story of Jacob Taylor, a biotic-powered super-soldier who stumbles across a plot to terrorize civilization’s greatest beacon of hope. Can you prevent a heinous attack that threatens to knock humanity off the galactic stage?
Key features of Mass Effect include:
* Gripping story line that enables you, playing super-soldier Jacob Taylor, to prevent galactic chaos
* Stylish art presentation delivers an animated graphic novel experience
* A blend of nuanced story telling with gripping top-down shooter combat
* Experience the back-story behind some of the main characters in the upcoming Mass Effect 2 (for Xbox 360 and PC).
* 2 hour story-based experience with stunning graphics, animated presentation, and top-down arcade-style combat
Our initial thoughts are that the game has a certain “Contra” overhead view, even evoking memories of the classic Gauntlet in presentation. Can this overhead view do the Mass Effect universe justice?
A price tag of $3.99 was revealed for the first game in the episodic series. And seriously, four bucks for only two hours’ worth of gaming? Then again, we pay more for shorter XBLA and WiiWare games all the time.
More images after the break.
[Thanks to eN1gma for the tip!]