And with one tweet, the gaming masses exploded in uncontrollable happiness. This evening Sony sent an invitation to media and fans to see the future of PlayStation at a February 20th event. The event will be livestreamed on 6PM EST that day on Sony’s “PlayStation Meeting” website.
This is the Playstation 4. This can ONLY BE the Playstation 4. And, it’s very well-timed.
According to the Wall Street Journal (sub required), Sony will pull back the cover on it’s PlayStation 4 (PS4) at the event. The event will apparently also announce the release date: this Fall.
It’s a designed move by the company. Anticipating negative financials by rival Nintendo reported yesterday in their quarterly report, Sony had today circled on their calendar for a while to drop the news of an incoming event. It’s a further kick to Nintendo, who has faced challenges and difficulties in gathering excitement for its Wii U. The one-two punch was brilliantly masterminded by Sony’s management, rekindling the console wars yet again and aimed at causing fans to essentially forget the Nintendo Direct from last week.
The ball is in Microsoft’s court now, as it is rumored to announce its Xbox successor between now an E3 in June. Nintendo is also planning more of the popular Directs to announce third party games coming to the console.
There will be other announcements during that event as well, since it clearly outlines “PlayStation” and not “the Next PlayStation”. Our crack team has boiled it down to these probable details:
- PS4 revealed
- PS4 launch date reveal (Fall 2013)
- Sizzle reel of upcoming PS4 games, with names like Uncharted, Ratchet, Gran Turismo and Resistance probably there
- Playstation Vita redesign
- Vita price cut
- First news of Gaikai integration
- PS3 game updates: Last of Us, Last Guardian, Beyond: Two Souls
For more fun, watch the video below that Sony created. It’s absolutely simple — mixing electrifying lightning and the familiar button icons — in a what we assume to be is a real-time video rendered on the PS4 hardware. Keep your hearts beating… it’s officially ON.
Source: Official PlayStation Twitter
Latest posts by Dalibor Dimovski (see all)
- Review: The Big Bad World of Concept Art for Video Games (book) - July 23, 2015
- The BIG PAX Prime 2015 Party List: Parties, Events, Fundraisers and more - July 20, 2015
- The SideQuest July 16, 2015: We Were on a (Summer) Break! - July 19, 2015