More than 100 games at launch
During today’s iPhone event, Apple revealed that its Arcade subscription service would arrive on September 19 for $4.99. The Netflix for iOS gaming will bring unlimited play of over 100 games at launch to Apple devices, from tablet to phone to laptop.
Though many of the announced games will be available on other platforms, the company revealed several that were exclusive. LEGO Brawl and LEGO Arthouse are bringing unique ways to play for the brand, while Capcom is bringing Shinsekai: Into the Depths, a platformer that reminds us Deep Down. There’s an exclusive Frogger game, and a Chu Chu Rocket sequel, among a few others.
Apple has access to hundreds of millions of users and their devices, but if it really wants to compete against the Nintendos and Xboxes and PlayStations then it will need some compelling, AAA quality software experiences to get us to jump into yet another subscription.
Here are a few more tidbits about the service, from Apple’s site:
- Unlimited access to 100+ new games rolling out this fall
- Share your subscription with up to five family members
- Ad-free; no additional purchases necessary
- Start playing on one device, pick up on another
- Download to play, online or off
- You decide whether to share your personal data
- Works with Screen Time and parental controls